Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Administrator Login password forgotten

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathstar

MIS
Aug 28, 2001
CA
I have a server here that was installed a good while back and was nevver used, the problem is that everyone forgot the password and rather than crashing and reinstlling Windows 2003 Server again is there a fast and efficient way to recover the password without damaging the OS? I need this info ASAP since the server is now needed ASAP and the sooner I can log in the better so I can go ahead and proceed with the other administrative tasks for this new 2003 server.

I looked online to see if there are any utilities (BOOT Disk w/ password cracker) and I wasn't able to find any good ones, if anyone knows a good one this can help me out as well.

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated and many thanks to all. I never ran a PW crack or a utility to reveal the PW so I guess I am somewhat of a newbie.

Thanks

Was the server joined to the domain?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Actually no, the server is still in a workgroup mode.

Thanks for the help

And no valid user IDs are known?

I've never had any luck with the passord reset disks that are available for download on the net. My suggestion would be to reload the system.

If this was an old install you will probalby want to make sure it was done right anyway, plus it probably needs a bunch of Windows Updates and the latest Service Pack.

Regards,

Mark

I recovered the Admin password on my W2K Server using one of those programs, but it must be run with Admin privileges. Luckily I created another user, and I remembered the password for it.

David

I recovered the Admin password on my W2K Server using one of those programs, but [red]it must be run with Admin privileges.[/red] Luckily I created another user, and I remembered the password for it.

If you have an account with Admin rights then you could have simply reset the password without the need for any tools.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for all the suggested replies, I was able to fix it with a program I was able to find. This is one amazing software !!! It's called ERD and it's a GUI base application that you can boot with a CD and it's so easy that it took a matter of mins to reset the administrator password. I strongly recommend this product is anyone has to reset the password for the administrator account. This application also does much more than just resetting the password, try it and you won't be disappointed!!!

Once again thanks for all your help, it was much appreciated

:eek:)

DeathStar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back