Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

administrator does not have permission to update

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipifire

Technical User
Jan 8, 2001
US
I have winxp pro sp1. I find that when I do any update like winxp sp2 rc1 that it gives a setup error saying "You do not have permission to update windows xp. Please contact your system administrator." I have logged on as administrator and tried this and get the same error. I have tried to the reg and give everyone permission on "microsoft update" key. This did not work also. Can anybody help?

this is a reinstated post from win2000 forum. I was not awawre nor did I look to if this forum exists..

The perfection we strive for should be our acceptance of imperfection and to gain answers to our problems, we should always add the unknown as one possibility

Are you logged in as a local admin or are you controlled by a domain?

Thier maybe some local security policy's in placse that are preventing the updates, i have also heard that changes to some system files can cause issues with large SP updates,

I for instance changed a few system files and registry keys to modify the images diaplayed on the login dialog box, this prevents me from installing SP's unless i restore the origional files.

Hope this helps.

Acually if goto the win200 forum and look for the same subject it will answer most questions.

But yes My user is assigned local administrator and domain admin. I have logged in as local administrator and domain administrator separatly and recieve the same setup error. And I'am the domain admin and have no restrictions towards my user login or admin accounts. I would like to say its xpsp2 update but I cannot patch media player q837272 also. I've downloaded this patch still recieve same setup error. I can install or uninstall any other program that there is. I just updated my sql server to sp3a without a hitch. I'm more interested in the solution to the error than what I'm tring to update. just to the mere fact that its hard to track it down. any help would appriecated.

The perfection we strive for should be our acceptance of imperfection and to gain answers to our problems, we should always add the unknown as one possibility

Its Funny But I checked my permissions on my domain and my computer everything seems ok. And I'm getting the error. Do anyone have a slightest clue??? Why this is happening???? Maybe the permissions in the registery is messed up. Does anybody know how to safley reset the registery permissions?

Ok sp2 is not the problem its only one of many upgrade programs that will not update because I don't have admin permissions... Even though I do. The readme on sp2 helps but doesn't have the solution....

The deploy instructions for XP SP2 are not available in your usage.

Remember that the expectation is that all Release Candidates of SP2 would require an Add/Remove step.

Having said all that, there is a network image of RC2 for SP2, and you would deploy this as you would any Service Pack:
I note: Release Candidate and Betas are not recommended for production machines.

When SP2 goes RTM, the deployment and GPO publishing guidelines will be released.

I see that your getting caught up in the sp2 thing here. ANY updates or critical patches will not install do the error above. There is something restricting the installation of updated core files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back