Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Administrator can only run programs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldlatrand

MIS
Nov 26, 2001
CA
I have a brand new workstation running w2k. Only the local administrator can run programs. When I log onto the domain, using any other user, I get errors whenever I try to open any office xp program or any other applications I've installed. For instance, when I try to open a new excel file, a get an error stating that it cannot find a .dll, but then it eventually opens a blank excel file. When I try to open an existing excel file, it won't open at all, but it works fine if I'm logged on as the local admin.
The only user set up on the workstation is the local admin. I tried setting up another local user w/ admin privileges, but I still get the same problem.
Also, I cannot log on to the domain as Admin, even though I can log on as any other user that's set up on the nt4 domain controller.

Okay, lets see if we can help. First, I will asume the w2K machine is on the network. You said you can not logon to the network as 'ADMIN', well is 'ADMIN' the local administrator of that w2K machine, or the domain administrator of the entire domain?

I beleve the easiest way to fix this is going to be adding a global group of all you domain users that need to access this w2K machine's programs to the local (w2K's admin group) administators group. If you do this though and do not wish to set up secury on the box then all users in the global group will be GODS on that box. You may want to test and instead of adding the global group into local admins, try putting them in the local 'Power Users' group.

Any questions, just ask! HTH - Mike

Yes, the w2k workstation is set up on the network.
When I initially installed w2k, I set up the local Administrator w/ the same password as the domain Administrator, but if I try to log on to the domain as Administrator, I get an error stating unrecognized user name and/or password.
I will create a global group and put them into the pwr usr group, but I'm not sure if this will work, since I already tried to create another local user and gave them local admin rights, but they still were not able to access programs.
Let me see what happens.
Thanks for the response.

Thanks stiddy. Adding the global group worked to access all the other applications I installed, but it's still having problems w/ Office XP programs. Whenever I try to open an excel file I get an invalid path or missing file error. Any suggestions other than re-installing Office?

Haven't used office XP yet, but post the exact error and we will see what we can come up with. What drive letter and directory is office XP innstalled on?

The error I receive is error 1706 un able to run setup and refering me to c:\\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1033\setup.hlp
I only get this error if I'm logged on as any user other than the local Administrator.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Any answers to the last problem ? I've got the same problem.

Have you tried running a Repair install of Office now that the permissions have been fixed?

Had the same issues with Office 2000 Pro on a W2K Pro machine. The other guy in my office figured it out. Log in to the 2kpro machine as a local admin. In control panel/users add a new user with the same username as the network user. Domain name is your domain. Type of user is Others and select Administrators. Once created, log off the PC and relog on to the network and all Office functions should work as this gives the user local admin priveledges and their regular network priveledges.

Jeff

I have the Same Problem, but we Can't give the Users Local Admin Rights. We're Running Windows NT and the only people who can use Office XP are the ADMins is there any other way to let the users, Use XP but not give them Local Admin Rights?

Does making them local Power Users do any good?

Placing Domain Users into Power Users Locally is already a suggested good idea.
I usually re write the permissions on the All Users folder.
Login as local admin.
Right Click All Users
Properties - Security - Advanced Settings
Check bottom box/button in lower left corner to re write the normal permissions All Users get anyway to all the stuff there in All Users.

Just to give everybody an update on this, when I had the problem, setting my users to power users didn't fix the problem. I had to give them full admin rights. However, after they ran the program and got the service release updated, I was able to bump them back down to restricted users.

So, you need to give them complete administrator rights, but you don't need to leave them with those rights.

Hi

Highly suggest you reload the machine and this time install all the apps with the local admin account and then add the pc to domain, had a similar problem but it all started cause I installed XP and 2000 as admin and then with out running the programs after wards to get registration screen I logged off and then as the user. The office installation did not work and even when I logged on as admin I had the problem, had to uninstall and then reinstall office as admin and then run the program before logging off.
Cant say I had all the problems u had below and thus the problem I would say is not normal and thus u should rather reload the entire machine.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back