Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Administrative setup of Office 2000 SR-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2001
US
I'm trying to run the administrative setup of Office 2000 SR-1.

I run "setup.exe /a" from the Run command (I've tried this on both Win2K and Win98) and the Setup window opens.
It says "Welcome to Microsoft Office 2000".
Down under that it reads " Preparing to install Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1".
The only button is 'Cancel'.

The problem is that it'll stay like this for twenty minutes then say"Installation Complete" (or something similar).
But nothing was done. It didn't ask me for any customer info or the product ID or a location to put the administrative image.
I want to put this on a NetWare volume but I can't seem to get past this point.

Any ideas??
Thanks,
trp

I've asked the same question before without response, but you should inspect the harddrives of the system you ran the install on. Last time I did exactly what you did, I found directories randomly placed all over my server that were all the files/directories that I guess make up the install. Jason Wilder
IT/CAD Manager

Jason,

Were you able to resolve the issue?
I ran it at home as a test and it did exactly what you said. I found things all over the place. Bad.
There must be a command line switch to specify a destination.

Thanks for your reply,
Tom

Dreamboat,

Unfortunately those are the 'How to' articles. I follwed those but the installation isn't performing as outlined in those articles.

Thanks anyway,
Tom

Not really, I simply pooled all the random directories into location. Compared them, and they are basically the same files/directories as on the CD.

I haven't come up with a decent solution for the problem. I even tried applying O2K Resource Kit without much success either.

I hope someone in the group has an answer! :cool: Jason Wilder
IT/CAD Manager

i've come across this problem too. haven't found a good solution/fix. my work around was to copy the 2 CDs to the server hard drive in a Disk1 and Disk2 directory, then do a workstation install. at the workstation, is does show a "run from network" option. the thing that has to be done is type in the serial number when installing. This seems to be what the admin install does, just without saving the serial number. Don't know if there will be a licensing problem though.

Some things i tried. Copy the "update" from the Office resource kit (can't remember if it was the setup.exe or the data.msi file). didn't work. Copy a setup.exe file from an office pre-SR1 disk. didn't work (hadda try...). played around with the various switches, no luck.

When using the admin install, it would automatically go ahead and install the office directories on the first network drive, no dialog. haven't tried "locking" out the server drives just to see what error message comes up. i even did an admin install on a non-networked computer. Office still went right ahead without me and installed on C: drive. Odd, but a pre-SR1 Office will correctly do an admin install. Wonder what microsoft changed in the setup process. i remember reading that they switched "installing" programs.

If you have found a solution/fix, i would greatly appreciate knowing what it is.

I found out how to do it. First make the directory where you want your install point to be on your server. Than share that out. Next map the lowest possible network drive from your computer to the share. Than run the setup.exe /a
It will look like nothing is happening. When it's done, you will see all the files etc. on the drive you mapped.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back