Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Administration Question ??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zxzzzzzz

Programmer
Jul 10, 2002
US
Is there an advantage in importing a Windows user/group over linking a Windows user?? I'm not sure which way to go, but our corporate security stragegy is based on Active Directory. My goal is to be able to use single sign-on if possible.

Thanks!! Still new at the admin. part of MSTR.

%-)

linking is better, you don't have to import passwords. When users change their passwords in AD, they automatically have to use the same password in MSTR.

Thanks for the great advice as always nlim!!

Are all your users going to be in the intranet?

Most of my users will be web. I think we bought 20 desktop licenses.

I tried to test Windows authentication / linking MSTR user to Windows user. I can see the link when I look at the user in MSTR; however, when I log completely out of Windows, log back into Windows, then go to MSTR desktop I am asked for user ID and P/word. If I put in that linked user ID and password, I get an error that the password is invalid (even thought it was just valid to log into Windows). I even have my corporate security administrator trying to help me figure out what went wrong, but he knows nothing about MSTR.

I knew it seemed too easy! Thnks!!

for your project source you need to set it to windows authentication...

How do I do this?? Is it is I-server config?? This is new to me.

Thanks!

start..programs..microstrategy7..tools..project source manager..

select project source, click modify. Click on advanced tab.

Out of curiousity,,,, does Windows authentication also apply to web users?? ((i still have the demo product until the end of September when we are installing 7.2.3))

yes, you'll have to make some adjustments to the web preferences under login.

We use a Windows based system here, so all my login to the 723 web is thru NT. Once I login to windows, the MicroStrategy Web projects use that same login without me having to put in my password again.

Great. We too are using Windows NT authentication to 7.2.3, but I don't have our "purchased license" CD key to upgrade the demo software to full version software. We are only in the implementation planning stages of MSTR, and I have only had Admin and Rptg Essentials classes so far. Architect is in a couple weeks.

Thanks for all your help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back