Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Admin Rights in NT4 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

moehlenw

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2001
US
I know this has to be possible. How do you create an account in NT4 Server that has 100% control over local computers, but does not have control over the domain. My problem is that I am 1 of 3 administrators where I work and I am trying to install software on user's pcs. Unfortunatley, the master administrator does not know how to give me admin rights. So basically my admin account is exactly the same as a user account. I can't install software, change settings, etc. I need to do these things in order to do my job. The only way to install anything is to log in locally to the user's local pc and perform any admin functions. I need to be able to just login from any pc and have enough rights to change settings, software, local passwords, etc, but I DO NOT need full access rights to the entire domain.
I know in NT4 the built-in Administrator account is setup by default with admin rights over the computer/domain, so my question is how do you make a domian wide account that only has access to the computer half?

Log in on the local computer like an administrator, go to the user manager and make your domain account part of the local administrators group. This will work on NT workstations S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Hi,

If your administrator goes into domain manager and highlights your account, select policies, then user rights. He can then assign you the rights you require to do your tasks. Alternatively (and far better) he should create a new global group, assign the permissions you require to this group in the same way, and add your account to them.

hope this helps,

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back