Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Admin account came from no-ware 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay12321

Programmer
Oct 7, 2009
GB
I turned my computer off suday night and all was fine. when i turned it back on yesterday a administrator account appeared from no-ware on my computer.

i should be the only account on my compter, yet this admin account is there without a password.

and to make things even worse it wont let me delete it.

the only way i know how to delete accounts on vista is through control panel.

so my questions are.

1. How am i gonna delete this account.
2. where do you think this account came from.(it wasent me and no one else touched my computer(definately)).

if you want any more info just ask.

Thanks.... Jay

1. How am i gonna delete this account.
You don't...

2. where do you think this account came from.(it wasent me and no one else touched my computer(definately)).
it is build in...

now the Question is: What should I do?

give the Administrator account a PASSWORD, one that you will remember and wont be hacked to easy... e.g. Ne89SxTf ...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

What sort of answer is that, so your saying theres a built in function to randomly create a administrator user over a year after i bought it. please no more answers like that.

Jay12321," there is a built-in Administrator account that is created with the initial installation of Windows. It is not randomly created, it is there from day one of the Windows install. By default this account is disabled and there is no password set. "BadBigBen" answered the two questions you presented. You are more likely seeking the answer to the question of how the account became enabled. You may be able to find some clues to this answer within the event logs. As BadBigBen stated you should apply a password to the account and disable it if you do not want it to be active.

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

3 reasons I can offer as to why the Disabled Built-in Administrator would suddenly appear.

Operator intervention.

Malware intervention.

Corruption of the system.

I would certainly scan the system for malware, just to be sure that cause was eliminated.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

If you have Ultimate or Business, you can disable the Administrator Account via Computer Management/ Local Users and Groups. Or you can just do the following.

Easy enable real Administrator Account in Windows Vista Home Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back