Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adjust the output of RSC console

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbbyleo

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
I am using RSC v2.2 on an Enterprise 250 box. I have the RSC client installed on a windows2000 workstation. When I use the RSC GUI interface from the workstation and open a console to the Sun box, I notice that output on the console it not exact.

For example, when I do a man page on a command, the output of the man scrolls thru more lines than what would fit on the console window, which forces me to scroll up to see those that did not fit.

Another example...when I do a VI, the file I am VI'ing is lost in the text that was already in the console....like as if the text of the file is super inpose over the existing text on the console, leaving you virtually giberish on the screen.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks.

For your vi problem set EDITOR vi should get the display working. For the first problem check what term is set to.
It needs to match what the emulation is trying to use.
If you run set it will show what the term is set to now.

That did it.

So basically what I did was this:

Since my normal telnet session to the SUN box works just fine (meaning the format of the output to screen looks good), I did a set on that session to figure what the difference was as far as the TERM variable was concerned.

And sure enough, the telnet session was set to "ansi" and the console from the RSC GUI was set to "sun".

(I wouldn't have known what to set TERM to unless I did that - I'm a newbie to SUN and all this console-terminal stuff.)

Turns out both issues were resolved just setting the TERM correctly. Setting EDITOR has no effects to either of issues.

ONE MORE QUESTIONs (please):

1) Please confirm my understanding of what's going on here. If I telnet into the SUN box from a Windows workstation, the telnet services actually sets these environment variable so that the outputs can be viewed correctly from a Windows machine? The RSC client on my windows workstation doesn't seem to do this and sets the variables just as if I was plugged directly to it's serial port using "VT-something-something", right? If this is correct, then it makes sense that if I tip into boxB from a telnet session on boxA, the output from boxA is in incorrect format. Please confirm.

Many Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back