Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adjust Registry file name when producing .pdf files from Access 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2005
US
About a year ago, I designed some code to print .pdf reports in Access 2003 using PDF Writer (Adobe Acrobat version 5.0). The code would print multiple .pdf files, based on an Access report, and save them to a specific location with a specific name that I specify within the VB code.

Unfortunately, after upgrading to Adobe Acrobat 8.0, the functionality no longer works.

After reviewing the code, I determined how to get the file to print to a .pdf file using using Adobe 8.0, but am having trouble updating the registry to specify the file name. When I execute the functionality in Access, the file will be created, but I'm immediately prompted for a file name.

I'm using the following VB code to update the desired .pdf file name in the Windows Registry although its not currently working:

bSetRegValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER, "Software\ADOBE\Acrobat\PDFMaker\8.0\Global\Settings", "PDFFileName", sPDFPath + sPDFName

The sPDFPath and sPDFName values are the variable that makes up the proposed file name.

So my question is "Using Adobe 8.0, is it possible to update a WIndows Registry setting, so a .pdf file is automatically created using that name?"

If that is not possible, does anyone know of a vendor who sales versions of Adobe 5.0, so I revert to old code which worked like a charm?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Have you considered PDFCreator? I have found it useful.

I have found this very useful for doing what you describe with just a few lines of code...
http://www.groupacg.com/ACGPDF.htm

I use it with v7, but it supports v8 too.

Shame to waste your existing procedure but this does work well.

Thanks for the reply, Remou.

I have not used PDFCreator extensively. Can it be leveraged from Access to create .pdf reports?

Specny, is there a version of this code that I don't have to purchase?

Thanks for the alternative solution

...is there a version of this code that I don't have to purchase?

Not that I know of, though you can get a free 30 day evaluation.

Your original post mentioned purchasing a copy of Acrobat 5.0 - I thought that insted of this you might like to spend the money on a current product rather than going back to old versions of Acrobat - I've only used it on about six or seven occasions and it was $55 well spent.

I can only recommend you give it a try and see if you think it's worth the cost...

I am using PDFCreator with Access 2000 and it is working well, so far.

In what capacity Remou?

How did you learn how to customize with Access?

Awesome Remou....would it be OK if I follow up with some questions if I have issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back