Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adivce on upgrading or replacing Norstar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rilhouse

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
My company is considering upgrading or replacing our Norstar phone system. The #1 reason is that it's old and doesn't have some of the features we will need. I'm not an expert but I do have some experince working on a Meridian Option 61.

Requirements:

1. We need to be able to backup voice mail, we currently don't have that ability
2. A "follow me" type feature for traveling users (ring on office then home, then cell)
3. Easy of managment, preferably a web based interface to configure phones
4. Support up to 200 users
5. Simple call center type queues
6. Modular system that can be upgraded for more users
7. Would be nice to re-use our current handsets (not 100% neccesary)

I'm not sure if the Norstar we have could be upgraded to include the above features? (add callpilot?) OR if we should just ditch the Norstar in favor of newer technology?

We are also looking at hosted PBX solutions but we aren't sure if they would offer the reliability of a physical PBX. Any input would be appreciated!

You might look at the BCM platform. It has most of the features you are looking at, and uses your existing phones. The BCM can be expanded easily and has been around long enough now that it is a stable platform.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

MICS 4.1 and up, you can program the cfna to transfer to an outbound number, but there's no second entry if that call goes unanswered.

As for a web based GUI, the CP has one, but I've found the sw to program the ksu to be more cumbersome than using a phone to program.

Sounds like the BCM would be your best answer.

BCM 450
Has Call Pilot built in
Unified Messaging
IP and Network Ready
GUI and Element Manager

Can handle your 7 requirements

Please post your current Nortar model and software version.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Thanks for the advice so far. My Norstar software version is MCIS 4.0, I'm not sure what the model is as I don't know where to find that info?

Ok

MICS:
You can go as far as 7.1 software and 12 expansion ports to add modules.
16 sets per module
12 lines per module, not needed if you go with PRI.

NAM:
By a box of 3 1/2 inch floppies
Open up cover and stick a disk in
F983/Login/44 and do a back up
If you get an error "Cannot Continue" then upgrade to 4.1 wich you must do anyway if you updrade the KSU to 7.1.
Depedning on your type of lines and how many depends on how many sets you can have..

F983/Login/22 to do a restore
Everything but messages backed up.

F915/Password
Put one disk in and label is SEKUR file
Admin/Backup&Restore
This backs up any key codes purchased for the system

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Thanks Curly, just to be clear:

F983/Login/44 and do a back up - This backs up switch config?

F983/Login/22 to do a restore - This backs up VM config?

Both are Voice Mail only, the structure and greetings....it will not backup messages.

For the phone system you require Nortar Remote Utilities (NRU) software and a Remote Access Device (RAD) hardware.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Since you have option exp .
I would suggest an option switch
Why would you go with a NORSTAR with that many users?

BCM450 now has the Find me-Follow me feature and will allow you to reuse your old sets. In addition, you would have the ability to add VoIP sets with a total number of 300 sets being supported.

thanks for all the replies. i'm thinking that the nortel BCM is a good option, but i'm open to other non-nortel solutions as well. i'm going to talk to a few vendors, but just wanted to get some advice here first. thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back