Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

addressesmembers and brandaddresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

patweb

Programmer
Apr 17, 2003
BE
now I have a table addressesmembers and each record in this table can have one to many brandaddresses with are in an additional table. (members, suppliers are looking for some addresses of certain brands).

I was thinking, won't it be better, to add the brandaddresses to the table addressesmembers (so we have the same structure) and to mark in a field thats its a brandaddress. So then we have a better structure but can you work with this in a form ?
The addressmembers is the head form and the brandaddress is linked with the addressmembers in the head form. So can you have a relationship with data in the same table ?

sounds like the same situation with employees and managers. A manager is an employee. So, yes you can have a "self-joining" relationship in a table.

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

thanks Leslie, your comparison was matching ! Is it difficult, do you need an extra table, or do you have to make a copy of your addresses table ?

No, just one table. Since I'm not real sure about your structure, I'll continue with the employee manager relationship:
Code:
Employees
EmployeeID (PK)
EmployeeFName
EMployeeLName
etc.
ManagerID (FK)

EmployeeID    FName     LName    ManagerID
1             Joe       Blow         
2             Jane      Doe           1
3             Bob       Smith         1
4             Robert    Jordan        2
5             Terry     Goodkind      3
So Joe Blow manages Jane & Bob, Jane manages Robert and Bob manages Terry.

Does that help?

les

ok, but one FK won't be enough. Each addressemember can have more then one adressebranch after a while.

headform
addressemember id 1

subform
addressememberbranch fk linked to 1, his own id is 5
addressememberbranch fk linked to 1, his own id is 8
addressememberbranch fk linked to 1, his own id is 12
addressememberbranch fk linked to 1, his own id is 99

The FK in your example is the ManagerID.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

addressememberbranch fk linked to 1, his own id is 5

So you're saying that member#5 can be linked to more than just member#1?

yes, number 5 could be linked to more then just number#1.

Several members can ask for the same brandaddress.
Several members itself can ask over a year to many brands.

then you have a many to many relationship which needs to be set up differently. You are going to need another table. Instead of adding the field to the addressmember table, create a new table BrandAddresses with two fields, one is addressmemberID and the other is addressememberbranchID; make these fields a composite PK. So your original table now has (assuming that both these entities have the same information):

1 addressmember info
5 brandaddressmember info
8 brandaddressmember info
12 brandaddressmember info
25 addressmember

your new table will look like:
AddressMemberID BrandAddressID
1 5
1 8
1 12
25 5

Now each BrandAddress can be assigned to multiple AddressMembers and each addressMember can have multiple BrandAddress.

Does that make sense?

Leslie

yes, I see, if it is well understand to me, in this way I can maintain my addresses in just one table and I can create a many to many relationschip (form and subform) with a between table containing the IDs.

wow, nice reference. I know the basics about relationships but never to late to sharpen the knowledge (there is a first time for everything - like self-joing one table).

pat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back