Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Address of page changes adding (%20) within the address

Status
Not open for further replies.

royter

Technical User
Mar 29, 2001
CA
When I post my site with front page ... one of the pages addresses changes and the program adds the symbols %20 in the middle of the address. The original page still exists on the net and I am unable to make changes to it. Can any one help me remedy this situation please?
Paul

Well one reason may be that you are developing on a PC based system but the host computer is running on Unix? I see this a lot.

Actally I didn't respond fully. The %20 stands for space.

so your file name may be: John Smith.html

and the system changes it to John%20Smith.html so that Unix will recognize the space.

Developing the site in a PC environment and using a Unix server has no bearing on this. It is just an issue of spaces in the name. Generally IE will read such names correctly but Netscape will return an error.

If you can see the page on the web but can't open in in FP there are a few ways to handle it:

You could FTP in and retrieve the page from the server. It sounds as though you are using Netscape (or this problem wouldn't be very obvious). Either download IE or have someone with IE save the page and email it to you.

To get the code for the page from the web open the page in IE, click on View, Source which will show the code in Notepad. Save the notepad file to your FP web as an html page with the name you want it to have. If you're using themes or shared borders you may have to tweak it some but it will be faster than recreating the page.

Bunni Dot Com

Actually it has been proved that spaces in a file name can cause compatability problems with netscape, also some search engines dont like spaces between file names this is why jimco gives a free add in to remove the spaces in file names and replace them with an underscore. You can get this free addin from (or it might be with no 's' on the end)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back