Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Address Book problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMK

Technical User
Feb 13, 2001
US
I have GW 5.5 client installed on a Windows 2000 workstation. I no longer have any addresses in my address books. Prior to this I had the addresses but the program would not allow me to save or remove addresses. Frequently used adresses would not automatically save to that address book. I've uninstalled and reinstalled GW Client on this machine. The server has been rebooted. When using nwadmin and going to GW utilities the fix/repair option under library/database maintenance is grayed-out (unavailable). No other workstation on the network is experiencing these problems. I'm guessing I would be able to fix the problem if the fix/repair option were available. Has anyone experienced similar problems? What was your solution? Is there an alternative to using the fix/repair option in GW administration? Thanks.

Well I have had address book problems before. Some of the things i have done it go mail setting in the control panel and re-add the Novell Groupwise Address book, and the Groupwise Personal Address book. If that does not fix your problem, go to novell's support page and find a utility called (i think) Groupwise Clean Agent. It will wipe out everything on the 2000 machine. Reinstall window messaging and then reinstall Groupwise client.

Thanks Harry.

I've tried completely uninstalling the client using GW Cleaning Agent then reinstalling and that didn't work. I think the database/library for that client on the server may be corrupted. However, when I go to GW utilities/maint and try to run fix/repair database/libraries that option is grayed out. Any ideas on how to get this utility running again? Is there an alternative utility I could run that would do the same thing? i.e. repair the client database/library? Thanks.

Have you tried to run GWcheck32 against this mailbox? It should at least tell you why it won't run or it will give you a report on what it finds/fixes.

Yes I have tried GWCheck. The option to run fix/repair is grayed-out. ???

Have you tried to run the standalone version of GWcheck? It is in your SDD (software distribution directory). If you can't find it there go to Novell's support and do a serch for GWcheck standalone. This is the same utility that is found in NWadmin but may be run by itself. You have to manually enter the post office path and what you want it to do... only caution is do not run Content and Structure check at the same time. Good Luck!!

Yes, I have tried running the stand alone version of GWcheck. Thanks. I think I've resigned myself to the fact that it's something corrupted in the Windows Messaging System that can't be fixed by simply uninstalling and reinstalling components. So, because no one else on the network is having the problem I'm going to do the one sure fix: FDISK; FORMAT; reinstall everything. I've learned that this technique works 99% of the time on pesky computer problems. ;-)

Try installing Windows Messaging for windows 2000 OS ,that will solve your problem.
The file name is NTWMS.EXE.

I would also check to see if you have MS Outlook installed (not Outlook express). It could have been installed during an Office install - sometimes it wrecks havoc with the GW's addressbook. If it is there, uninstall it Outlook, and reinstall GW.

idanraz, already tried what you suggested. It didn't work.

Amvest, what I've found is that GW must be installed with the option of installing the complete WMS before Office is installed (with Outlook) in order for GW to work properly. GW was working properly for quite awhile being installed in this manner. It was only lately that it started acting peculiar. I have tried all of the advice given in this forum and nothing has worked. The only option remaining is to restore the entire system. I'll let everyone know how that turns out.

Thanks to all for your advice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back