Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Additional IP Address assigned by system, in error

Status
Not open for further replies.

woter324

Technical User
Jan 26, 2007
GB
Hi All,

I have an interesting problem that seems quite unique and is hard to categorise. It may be OS, VM or Networking.

On a Windows 2008, Enterprise 64-bit server we are seeing an additional static IP address being assigned by something. This IP address belongs to another system on a different subnet.

The server is a (ESX 4.1) VM that use to sit in one datacenter with an IP of 192.168.1.151. It was moved (copy then delete)to a second datacenter and was re-ip'd to 192.168.2.102. The vNIC was removed and a new one added after the move. IP's are routable across data centers. I can confirm the MAC addresses are unique.

The IP that this system is automatically adding is on the same subnet that the server was moved from, but not the original IP that the server had.

When I run "IPCONFIG/ALL", I cannot see the incorrect IP listed, the same using "netsh interface ip show config".

If I remove the incorrect IP address using the GUI, as soon as I go back in to the IP Settings tab under advanced TCP/IP, the IP shows again.

I’ve used netsh command to add a static IP, same result.
I’ve looked through device manager using “set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1” to confirm there is no old NIC.
Obviously we can't continue like this and need to find the issue. If anyone has any ideas that they can share with me, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

W.

I've disabled isatap under Network adapters in Device Manager and thus far the additional static IP hasn't come back.

Reading this blog it looks like isatap is to do with IPv6 which we don't use.

IPv6 has always been unticked in the "Local Area Connection" properties.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back