Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Additional characters on the file

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBIN

Programmer
Sep 17, 2003
US
Knob & others,

I use procomm to send and receive EDI files.
Does procomm add any spaces at the end of the file being transmitted??

End of the line before transmission
IEA|1|000000001

After transmission looks liek this
IEA|1|000000001
--------------------------
I get space uptill the end of above dotted line.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

What transfer protocol are you using to send the file? I know of a problem with Raw ASCII (I believe) sending a hex FF at the end of a file, and have a workaround script on my page.

Xmodem sends files in 128-byte packets (I think this is the correct number, might be off a bit), and will pad the final packet if it is not 128 bytes. Are you seeing this only for the last line of the sent file, or for all lines?

If the system you are connecting to allows it, I would recommend using Zmodem or Kermit to eliminate this problem.

Knob,
Yes we are seeing this only at the last line.
Also we are at 16 bit CRC. Does that have to do anything with this??
I wish, but cannot use other protocols.
How else can we get rid of the padded space.
Thanks

Unfortunately there is not a way to get rid of it on the sending end, this is just how Xmodem operates (not just in Procomm, but with all other software to the best of my knowledge). The CRC is only used for error detection during the transfer of each packet, so won't impact the final file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back