Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

additional CALs vanishing from Windows 2003 SBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhall51

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2001
I have a wild issue with additional user license that I have added to a Win 2003 SBS. It comes with 5, but I need 20 available. I add the additional 15 in the license wizard under Admin tools. After a month or two a license error shows that there are not enough licenses. I look at the license wizard and the ones that were added are now gone. Has anyone seen this before?

I've seen it once.. the licenses would always disappear after a reboot of the server. After working with M$, I finally said the hell with it and rebuilt the machine. That fixed it for me, but the rebuild was a last resort.

Sorry i can't be any further help on troubleshooting though..

-snoots

I had this when I installed a new DC and removed the old one. I sucessfully transferred all the Roles onto the new server but something wasn't quite right.
Check in DNS that the server is registering all its names correctly - this was my problem. The various '_kerberos' and 'kpassword' entries were not present. These are created by the Netlogon service and although the service was started it just wouldn't register these names. A stop and start of the NetLogon service cured it for me.

Andy

Thank you for the responses. I'm not sure that the Netlogon is the issue. Starting and stopping services has not brought back the licenses that vanish. I can afford to wipe a reload either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back