Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Additiona l Firewall -yes or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

moro2003

Technical User
Apr 2, 2003
After recent problems with ZA Firewall please advice re installing adiitional Firewall App
besides Windows Firewall already running on the system.
I have all Windows Update patches instaled on my XP SP-2.
Thanks,

The first thing I would say is "Don't install an additional Firewall" - Install a replacement.

Having 2 active firewalls running at the sametime is a bad idea, it can cause system instability and more importantly lead to leaving your PC exposed.

Take a look at the firewall section on
The list of firewalls were compiled based on the suggestions of several members of this site.

Personally I use only the Windows XP firewall, I've been using it alone for about a year now and have not had any problems.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Thanks Greg for advice.
Sorry I was unprecise about "additionall" firewall-my idea was to desable Windows Firwall and install another one, but if Windows Firewall is doing well for you, then I'll follow you.

I agree with the use of the windows firewall. But I like to have a little bit more security so I make sure to also have a hardware firewall built into my router.

moro2003,

Beowulf005 & gpalmer711 have provided sound advice.

The hardware firewall can be robust and is your first line of defense and possibly your best line. Win Firewall is mainly specific to MS known weaknesses and provides that second layer of defense.

rvnguy

Thanks guyz for replies.
@rvguy,
what you suggest for the first defence.As I told i used ZA Firewall , but with the last experince I have with this app , don't like
to use it anymore.

I have found ZA to be effective enough in monitoring apps/processes that try to access the internet from your PC. For inbound protection (stuff coming in) rely more on hardware mechanisms you have in place (router using NAT, hardware firewall, proxy, etc).

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

As a side note:
I use Zone Alarm FW, with no probs, but if you are dissatisfied, then I suggest a router. Approx $60-$100.
Thw Windows FW only defends against 'incoming' data, it has no 'outgoing' defenses. So, if something got inside, Win FW would have no way of stopping data being sent out.
Sygate also offers a free FW:
So does Keiro:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back