Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Windows 2000 Std Server to domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daviboysmith

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
CA
Hi,

I have a existing 2000 domain (abc.com) that consist of 2 domain controller (ExistingDCServerA - 2000 adv. Servers). I want to add 2 additional 2000 Std. servers to this domain. I do not want these new servers to be domain controllers, but just be members of the domain and have group policies applies to them. Last time I tried doing this, I added the new server using the My Computers => Properties => Network Identification. I got the following errors in the logs

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NETLOGON
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5783
Date: 1/12/2006
Time: 1:21:23 PM
User: N/A
Computer: NewServer1
Description:
The session setup to the Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller \\ExistingDCServerA.abc.com for the domain ABC is not responsive. The current RPC call from Netlogon on \\NewServer1 to \\ExistingDCServerA.abc.com has been cancelled.

So I guess I have done something wrong, Any ideas?

I will really appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Dave

It sounds like the new member servers dont know how to find the DC.

The DCs should ideally run the DNS and make sure the soon-to-be member servers use this DNS. Then try add them to domain the way you describe.

Before adding them, make sure network connectivity is clean and set the DC as Primary DNS.

put a forwarder on the DNS on the DC.

If you have some special invironment this might not be the correct way.

brgds Nicolai

Niksen is right. There should be a DNS and WINS running on one or both od your DC. Change the network card properties of your TWO new servers to use these DNS of your DC. Then add your server into domain. Hope this help.

Since they are servers, I'll assume you have them set up with static IP addresses. Provide the IP address to your DNS servers and also manually specify the DNS root of your domain in the advanced tcp/ip settings, DNS tab. Specify your default gateway on the IP settings tab.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Yes Seaspray, the new servers have static IP's with correct DNS server IP address (ExistingDCServerA's IP and ExistingDCServerB's IP) which are both running DNS. The funny thing is that I am able to log on to the new server using the DOMAIN Administrator account, but some services fail to start complaining about authentication failure using the same DOMAIN Admin ID. Also, I am able to surf the net, able to access shared folders on the DC's.

Now I am getting these errors, almost at an hour interval.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 1/30/2006
Time: 11:01:47 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: NewServer1
Description:
Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO The file must be present at the location <>. (). Group Policy processing aborted.

I am stuck, any help will be most welcome.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back