Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding win 2000 member server to win 2003 domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

probeselector

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US
We are planning to put in new Dell server with Windows 2003 server as domain controller. This will be a new local domain. Our old server is currently running win 2000 server as a member server of a different companys domain. Are there any issues that i may need to think about. I am thinking about just adding the old server to the new 2003 domain and then just xcopy all of the data files to the new server. The old server will then be used as a ip phone system server. Will this work. As usual thanks in advance for any help.

If the old server is nothing more than a member server. I don't see where you would haave any problems. You are just going to dcpromo the new 2003 box make it a dc set up dns than add the lod 2000 server to the new 2003 domain as a member server. Can you expalin a little more about this part of your message

Our old server is currently running win 2000 server as a member server of a different companys domain. Are there any issues that i may need to think

We have purchased a company from a larger corporation and also purchased the old server. The old server is a member of their domain as a member server just as a file server.

So are you guys going to be doing some wan networking or are the companies in the city.

No wan plans. Two different companies, with no interest in each other. Thanks for the advice my friend. Hope i can help sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back