Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding web sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkman

Programmer
Oct 9, 2001
US
I have multiple domain names for one server/ip address. I'm trying to configure multiple web sites on this one server. I've looked up a bunch of help articles and they all seem to say that you can add a web site by right clicking on the computer icon in mmc, and selecting new->web site or something like that. I've tried right clicking on the computer icon, do not see new, and see no other place for an add web site option. I'm running IIS 5.1 with Windows XP. Anybody know why there's no add new website option there, or where to find it?

-venkman

my bad, just found windows xp pro only supports one website. Help file says:
"How do I create multiple Web sites?
Windows XP Professional with IIS can host one Web site and one FTP site on a single computer. If you would like to host multiple Web or FTP sites on a single computer, consider upgrading to a Windows server product. "

btw, does anyone know of a work around/hack for this?

Perhaps you could use different port numbers for the one web site you have?? But, why do you need different web sites - can't you just put your different projects in subfolders, or do you really need to have separate "names" for them???

DrMaggie ---------
"Those who don't know the mistakes of the past won't be able to enjoy it when they make them again in the future."
— Leonard McCoy, MD (in Diane Duane's Doctor's Orders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back