Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Users using uploader, not much documentation available 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickatReplay

Vendor
Jun 8, 2006
I would like to use the uploader application to add a large number of users. Does this applicacion overwrite existing users or just add users? How does it handle duplicates?

Uploader can be used for large imports however it has a few failings such as I have never worked out how to upload privileges. However to answer your question as far as I have tested it will not overwrite information but will update fields that are blank for currently existing users. Apparently you can deactivate users but I have only ever used it on fresh installs to do an initial upload. It will not create duplicates, as far as I have tested it will keep current entries but update missing fields.

Following is the list of coloums for user import. If creating your upload using excel you must have a space in the last column to ensure all commas exist otherwise the upload will not upload correctly:

First Name,Last Name,,Nice login,Nice password,Pin number login,A,,,,,,,Department,Location,,,Pin number login,1,,,,

Obviously I have ignored some fields which I never use, the A is for Active user, the 1 after pin number login is for Site 1, set all users with these values if they are new users and you only have one switch instance. I always add the same value to the two pin number login fields, this is supposed to be either extension number in a fixed seating environment or agent id in a free seating environment but how you have configured your CLS as fixed or free seating is which of these fields the importer will use.

To import department and location type fields you must first run the import once, to load the base agent details and then run the import again to add these details to the agents (note that the import will automatically add any departments or locations that are in the import but not currently in your CLS lists). Don't forget to rename the import file between imports.

If importing Members/Leaders first import users and then run a second import for the members / leaders.

I have never tried importing workflow management stuff.

Most importantly test your import file on a test database before trying it on a production system as any errors will cause incorrect fields to be populated.

Good luck

Good luc

Thanks RoamingKiwi: works great all your points were right on!

Now that we have all these users: I need to enter groups and add agents to groups. once again, very little documentation. With over 400 groups to populate, I would like to use uploader for this. I don't see the field definitions for this process in the manual.

Have you tried this one?

Basically both members and leaders are the same format with 3 fields, NICE Login ID, Team, and Privileges. Each privilege is separated by a ^ as documented. There must be a comma after the privilege field for each row. Team names don't need to be set up prior to uploading the file, any names missing during upload will be added (therefore any mispellings will create additional teams).

I'm not convinced that privileges always import ok and know that some of the documented privileges are wrong as follows:

Nice Say I Say Permission
1 4001 Allow user to login to System Administration
2 202 Evaluate self
3 203 Calibrate self
4 504? Report on self
5 506? Evaluate group members
6 Calibrate group members
7 Report on Group members
10 Evaluate any agent
32 501 Allow user to login to Reporter
33 401 Allow user to login to List Editor
34 301 Allow user to login to Form Designer