Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding two columns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipifire

Technical User
Jan 8, 2001
US
Does any body know how to get a sum total for two columns? Even if its has null?

Don't assume to know it all. For all answers to your solutions, you should always add the unknown constant. This is the real perfection we strive for.

sum(coalesce(col1,0)) + sum(coalesce(col2,0))

======================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.

Thank you i knew it had something to do with coalesce but didn't know how. thank you.

i assume i can do this

select sum(coalesce(col1,0)) + sum(colesce(col2,0)), *
from tbltest

Don't assume to know it all. For all answers to your solutions, you should always add the unknown constant. This is the real perfection we strive for.

no, you would be trting to sum all columns (1 record) and display all rows individually.
If you want to disply the sum with each row

select (select sum(coalesce(col1,0)) + sum(colesce(col2,0)) from tbltest), *
from tbltest

you can also

select sum(coalesce(col1,0)) + sum(colesce(col2,0)), col1, col2
from tbltest
group by col1, col2

Hi:

I think you can't place the * character at the end of the columns, because it will include each column of the table, and the aggregate funcions won't work with individual columns unless you code each column in a Group By Clause.

I just put * there for example only I'm really not using the * but thanks for the warning

Aahh, with the exception of Count(), aggregate functions ignore null values. So, you even can write:
[tt]
Select Sum(Col_1) + Sum(Cod_2)
From TableTest
[/tt]

;-)

>> Select Sum(Col_1) + Sum(Cod_2)

You can do that but may get a warning depending on the ansi warnings setting. Better to cater for the null values.

amazing enough it worked really good. I did not try the "Select Sum(Col_1) + Sum(Cod_2)" but will save it for a rainy day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back