Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Time on a Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbadams007

Technical User
Jun 29, 2002
US
Hopefully someone can tell me what I can do. I have built a report which I need to add time. The format needs to be something like hhh:nn:ss or 248:58:00. The table and query are both showing the format at that above....but for some reason I get a data mismatch error message. Can some tell me how I can get around this and get it to sum up the times on the report?

what's the data type of the field in the table? number? date/time?

sorry it took so long to get back to everyone. Let me explain maybe in better detail.
I work for the airline industry and on a monthly basis I have to report out aircraft flight times to our vendors. Traditionaly this is done by pulling data from a company program and importing to Excel. I of course think ACCESS will better suit our needs but am having difficulty with a reporting issue.
What I have been doing is copying the data from the Excel spreadsheet into a table in Access. The paticular column that comes from the Excel spreadsheet is Aircraft time and it is reported as example 248:55:00 or hours:minutes:seconds. When the data is moved into the table it is pasted in as text, not number or date/time.
In the report I built I can query all the a/c times but when I go to =sum([hours flown]) in the report footer I get a data mismatch error.

If someone would be able to build an example by first making a excell spreadsheet with fictional numbers such as those above and then copy them into Access and then work to see if you can get a report to sum them up, then maybe you can share with me how you did it.
I am completely stumped and feel I have exhausted every option.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

JB

I have the same problem.
If someone could please provide with a solution. it will be great.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back