Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding tables to an existing report

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixtoesofdean

Programmer
Nov 6, 2002
GB
Hi

I have an existing report which uses a view in SQL Server. I've amended the report using the visual linking expert and added another view which [obviously] has a relation with the existing parent table.

Trouble is Crystal doesn't want to let me change the join type. I need it to be an outer join. However whenever I click on the Link Options button, all the join types are greyed out (as is everything else).

The only helpful comment I can make is that Crystal decided that the fields were not the same type and told me so. However, lookcing at the underlying tables the views are based on, both column are of type int, the only difference being one is an identity column. Does this make a difference?

At the minute the report doesn't work. If I try and preview it, I get a 'useful' crystal error message saying "Not supported". Nice.

Also I can't look at SQL crystal is generating because the 'Database->Show SQL Query' is also greyed out.

I'm guessing that the way I've added the new view has seriously broken something, but what???

It might be useful if I mention that the report makes use of a sub report and its the sub report that uses most of the information in the table I added. I'm still messing about with this, so perhaps I shouldn't have been so hasty with my post on the forum, but if anyone has some useful comments they'd be appreciated 'cause it still isn't working.

It sound like you got the 'multiple starting points...not supported' error in the Visual linking expert.

It sounds like the sql cannot be generated, that is why it
is greyed out.

What database are you using sql, access, etc and what are the tables like you are trying to join?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back