Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding switch to existing network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoe

Technical User
Dec 15, 2003
US
I have a home network, that currently has three computers on it. Two plus a DSL modem in the basement connected to a hub down there, and then one long cable to upstairs, where there is currently one computer connected. I have just built a second computer to be installed upstairs, and figured the best way to network it would be just to place a switch on the cable going from the basement to upstairs and then plug the two computers upstairs onto that switch.

I got the switch, plugged the cable from the basement into the uplink slot, and plugged my existing computer into the x1 slot. I shouldn't need to change and of the configurations, but for some reason there is no connection made. However, when I take the basement cable out of the switch and put it back into the computer, the connection is there again.

The x1 lights light up when I put the cable from my computer there, and the cable from the basement works when not plugged into the switch.

Anybody have any idea what might be going on? Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

you shouldn't be using the uplink socket.

use the normal non-uplink sockets for computers.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

No, my computer is not connected ot the uplink socket. The cable from the switch in the basement is connected to the uplink socket and the cable from my computer is connected in the regular socket, not the WAN or Uplink sockets.

When you plug the cable from the basement into the uplink port do you get flashing lights? If not try it in a regular port. Also make sure the uplink port is not shared with port 1.

There are no lights for the uplink socket. There are only lights for the x1, x2, x3, x4, and WAN sockets.

-When I plug the cable from the basement into the x1 socket I get nothing.
-When I plug the cable from the basement into the WAN socket, I get the "Link" light.

ALright, I found my problem. Franklin was right, socket x1 was shared with the uplink socket. When I put the basement cable into the uplink socket and the computer cable into the x2 socket, it all works fine.

Thanks a ton Franklin!
~Jeff~

Echoe,
You might want to check that "networking protocals"
are the same on all your PC's.
I had a similar problem with the 12 PC's that I run in my home office. Using 'adsl modem to router to two switches and a hub.
I had some fun getting it to talk but in the end the solution for me was making sure all my PC's used the same protocals and that they had the same settings.

Hope this helps.

DanOboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back