Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Storage Array to Solaris 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

sproot

Technical User
Apr 29, 2005
US
Hi,

Apologies if this is a ridiculously basic question, 'Absolute Noob' wasn't an option in the list of user types.....:)

I've just installed Solaris 8 on an Ultra Enterprise2 with a SPARCstor (or something) disk array attached.
The box has two internal drives attached, both of which were detected and installed, but the array wasn't detected and I have no idea how to make Solaris 'see' it.

I can't run the admin tool - it just doesn't start, no errors but also no admintool. I've tried 'smc &' from a shell, it gives '781', but no admintool.

I've installed the Solstice 4.2.1 disk admin package, but I can't find how to run it. I found some documentation that said run vxadmin as root, but that fails (not recognised as a command etc).

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

TIA

You have to make sure you are a member of group 14 to run admintool, if you are not root. If you are suing to root from your user account you will need to do this first:

as you:
xhost +your_machine_name:0
su - root
<password>
k/sh
DISPLAY=your_machine_name:0 && export DISPLAY
t/csh
setenv DISPLAY your_machine_name:0
admintool&

vxadmin is also a Veritas command I believe so you will not have that on your system.

In order to make your machine see the array have you tried a boot -r from the OK prompt, then check format to see whether it's picked them up on the way up. If not, you could also try putting a file called reconfigure in your / directory (touch /reconfigure) then bounce the box (shutdown -i6 -g0 -y). The alternative to devfsadm -c disk without having to reboot the box. Though I've never used the latter I understand it's better than the old disks command in picking up attched disks. Hope this helps.

Thx to both of you, you were both right :)

I was root, but couldn't get admintool started, admintool& works tho'.

touch /reconfigure + restart worked a treat also (once I'd fixed the scsi id conflicts :oops: )
I found a good doc (that detailed creating volumes and mounting them.

It's all working fine now,

Thanks again :)
S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back