Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding server to AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tippmann

MIS
Jul 2, 2002
US
I added a win2k server (I will call it Server B) to AD that was a stand alone server in the domain. (Note: I am only running one domain with a PDC & BDC already) Everything seemed to be working until I was on "server B" trying to brows the network (Network places - entire network - MS Windows Network - "Domain Name") and can't see the network? I get an error saying The "domain name" is not accessible. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

Whats weird is if I turn off the PDC I can see the network just fine (from Server B). I start the PDC and the error returns.

I can see "Server B" from all of the workstations and from the other servers so I am a little confused

Any ideas would be great.... Thanks

Have you configured the primary DNS of Server B to be that of your Internal DNS server (most likely in this case to be your DC)?

Claudius (What certifications??)

I have Server B pointing to the one DNS server in the domain (integrated with AD). Are you saying I should be running DNS on Server B as well?

I am now really confused. You indicate you are running a domain with a PDC and BDC, so it must be WIN NT, not WIn2000 with AD. Or, are you running a mixed mode Win2000 domain with a Win2000 DC acting a PDC with NT boxes as BDC's? If so, is this "PDC" psuedo-server also your DNS and WINS server? Where is this AD running, on the stand alone box, or on a DC (maybe the mixed mode WIN2000 as "PDC"?).

Some more description would surely help.

David

I agree with dholbrook on more information is required. There is too much that isn't making sense in the question. There is no such thing as PDC and BDC in a windows 2000 environment (all domain controllers are equal except for special FSMO roles). Are you are mixing NT domain controllers into the mix? If it's purely a 2000 environment, is it running in native mode? NT doesn't use DNS to resolve names, it uses WINS. Server 2000 can also use WINS to resolve names along with DNS. What are you primarily using to resolve your names? Are you using NETBIOS over TCP/IP?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Sorry my fault.... I have a PDC and an extra DC on onlly one domain. I am running Win2k native - no NT4x

I am able to open explorer and type \\servername and get to the server...? The only thing that doesn't work is network places????

Check your tcp/ip settings... specifically the box for using netbios over tcp/ip. Is it checked for both computers? Look for a WINS problem. If they are unchecked, check into a DNS issue. Information about the tcp/ip configuration from both computers would be helpful. Go to a dos prompt and type ipconfig /all

post the information and it will help.

Sorry for the slow reply - to much stuff going on...

I found the problem. Looking at the DNS, it was not showing the "domain name" after the "server name". I went back to the server and it did not load the name correctly when I added the server to AD. I remove AD from the server and gave it a different name - rebooted - named it back to the correct name - reloaded AD and ever thing is good.

servername.domainname and ever thing is working great

Thanks for the post and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back