Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding records to Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdawley4

Technical User
Aug 6, 2004
US
As you all can tell, I am very new to oracle. I just downloaded and installed the 10g db on my home computer and was able to get logged in after altering the password for the SYS user. I am in the learning stage and want to know how to add data to the database. Is this a sql command line database or is it a graphic database, like MS Access? How can I add data to the Oracle Database and be able to see if it is in there? I have the default database created called orcl.

Thanks,

Chris

It's full power commandline.
You add data via
Code:
INSERT INTO table (col1, col2, ...) VALUES (val1, val2, ...);
and see if it is in there via:
Code:
SELECT * FROM table;
But there is a webfrontend available too, and you may bind your access-interface to it (afaik), or some other.

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

I was talking to a co-worker that knows oracle and explained that I wanted to be able to create tables, queries, forms, reports, etc from scratch. They said that was more along the lines of Oracle Developer, and that Oracle DB was for maintenance, size, cleaning, & security. Is that true or would DB give me the same functionallity?

Chris,

We want to help in the best way(s) possible. To do that, we need to know a bit more about your situation and objectives. Please give us some hints: Is learning Oracle part of your current job description? What is your job title? Are you wanting to learn Oracle as a side activity to improve your professional marketability? At this point, would you say you are a student wanting to improve her/his professional repertoire? Are you paying for your Oracle training out of your own pocket, or will your company underwrite this adventure?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 17:57 (24Sep04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 10:57 (24Sep04) Mountain Time)

Question 1 - Is learning Oracle part of your current job description?

A. It is not a part of my current job description.

Question 2 - What is your job title?

A. I am a technician in the telecommunications industry.

Question 3 - Are you wanting to learn Oracle as a side activity to improve your professional marketability?

A. Yes.

Question 4 - At this point, would you say you are a student wanting to improve her/his professional repertoire?

A. I am not a student in school or college.

Question 5 - Are you paying for your Oracle training out of your own pocket, or will your company underwrite this adventure?

A. I am not going to training yet. I am interested in learning about oracle to further my skills and hopefully use it to get a job that specializes in oracle.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back