Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding records to a linked table via another linked table

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaphodB

Programmer
May 24, 2001
US
I am having problems doing the following:
I have 3 Access 2000 mdbs. For sake of sanity they are
A B and C.

Database A has a linked table from database B - called tblLinked. I want to populate this linked table from another database (database C - ecaxtly the same structure) using the following VBA code:

DoCmd.TransferDatabase acExport, "Microsoft Access", "DatabaseC.mdb, acTable, tblSourceTable, tblLinked, False

HOWEVER - it doesnt populate the linked table in database B - tblLinked - it creates a new unlinked table table in database A called "tblLinked1"

Any ideas?

All you want to do is add data to this table, correct?

I think the easiest way to accomplish this would be to link the table into database C and just run an update/append query to put data into the table. Maq [americanflag]
<insert witty signature here>

Thanks Maq

The problem here is that Database C is 2,000 miles (Tampa, FL) away from Databases A and B! (Here in the UK). Connection times? I wanted to avoid linking to a table so far away!

Well, I've never tried to link databases that were that far away before, but I would think you would have the same connection speed problems with the transfer database as with a linked table.

You don't have to permanently link the table into the database, just temporarily set the link, update the table and then unlink it again. Have you tried this? Was the speed acceptable?

Or, Perhaps a web-based solution because of the distances involved? (Don't ask me for advice on implementing it though. My experience is limited to Access)

Another thought: Are the Tampa folks your clients or are they part of your company. If they aren't clients and if they are computer savvy perhaps you could e-mail the data to them and have them update the database for you?

I guess it really depends on how often you need to update the table, what solution you ultimately go with. Maq [americanflag]
<insert witty signature here>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back