Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding printers using a script? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

outonalimb

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
GB

Is it possible, in any shape or form, to automate the install of a printer on a NT4 Workstation which has been shared on a NT4 Server?

We have just shared a new Brother laser printer on our server but need an easy way to install it on all our client PC's.

Will a 'net use lpt1 ...' command do the trick? It needs to appear in the Printers folder on each PC so they can print from MS Word 2000, etc.

Regards,

get yourself a copy of con2prt and you can use a line like this in a logon script:

\\servername\netlogon\resources\con2prt /cd \\PRINTSERVER\PRINTERSHARENAME

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

Thank Andy.

We also have a few Windows 2000 Pro Pc's on the network. Will this utility work on those machines too?

However, I do have an issue with adding 2000 drivers to an NT4 Server so I can share the printer. Any advice?

Regards,

thread779-581142

Check out the above thread. Although it is listed for XP, I've used it successfully installing printers to Win2k and XP workstations on an NT LAN. Haven't tried it on NT workstations. I created a batch file that uses the command talked about in the thread. Give it a try.

Here is a little VBS that has saved us a hundrend man hours of labor:

Just replace the server\printer with the actuall address.

Also works on domain systems. It will have to be run under each user account if on a domain.

Dim net
Set net = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
net.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\server\printer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back