Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Printer shared on NT machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NigelR

Technical User
Jan 25, 2002
GB
Apologies if this has been answered before - did a quick search but couldn't find the answer...

I have a printer shared on NT 4 workstation box which is accessible to Win ME and other NT boxes. When I 'Add Printer' on XP Pro machine and select it in the network browse screen, I get an error saying the driver I'm installing is not compatible with XP. I was expecting the next screen to ask for the driver location.
Am I missing something simple?
Thanks.

I had this problem with an HP1220c shared on an NT machine. HP talked me through the fix.
1. Download the latest driver for the printer.
2. Run through the add new printer wizard, do not allow xp to search for the printer. Tell XP that the new printer is on LPT 1. (If you have a printer installed there disconnect it for now)
3. Finish the wizard but do not do a test print.
4. Make sure you know the network path to the printer on the nt machine.
5. Go to the properties of the printer you just installed on the XP machine, choose ports, add, local port and enter the network path to the NT machine.
6. Select the check box next to the port you just created in the main port window.
7. Click apply, OK
8. You should be ok, but if not, try renaming the printer on the NT machine so there are no spaces in it's name. This I'm told can make a difference. Then edit the new port properties to reflect the new path & name.
9. Reconnect your local printer if necessary.
10. I have done 2 XP machines in this way. 1 required a reboot, the other did not.

Marvellous! - thanks a lot, it works a treat.

Very good malaycobra. That is exactly the correct procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back