Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding pop-up text to photo? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS7214

Technical User
Aug 17, 2000
US
I have a group photo to post on one of the sites I manage. There are about 12 people and they're not in neat rows, so to identify everyone, I thought it would be better if I can have their names pop up as the mouse goes over each face. I use FrontPage 2000. I know how to do hotspots but the only option that gives me is for creating hyperlinks, and all I want is plain text that ACTS like a hotspot in terms of how it reacts to the mouse. I could make hotspots that link back to the same image but users will likely think something's wrong if they were expecting to be taken to a different page when they click the name; I want something that doesn't invite them to click it since it won't go anywhere anyway. There's got to be a simple explanation for this...if anybody knows it, I'd deeply appreciate it!

You mght want to try loading your pics into a table with the name underneath.

Good idea but it won't work in this particular case...the people aren't in rows or standing in any sort of order where that would work. It's a bunch of little kids piled up around a family matriarch, so the kids are hanging off the arms of the chair, standing on tiptoe behind each other, leaning against each other's legs, etc. The picture's probably about 100 years old and I'll get this done one way or another. The only other thing I can think to do is make a copy of the photo and manipulate it into individual silhouettes with names in each silhouette as a legend, but what a lot of work, especially if there's a way to do this pop-up thing. I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Can you place a grid on the picture with each persons face appearing in its own little box? If so, then you could crop the picture in a graphics program and reconstruct the picture in a table. Each section could then have its own Alt tag.

I tried it with four quads and it works... the challenge would be working with a dozen or more sections.

Here's a sample
I cropped the test picture using Paint Shop Pro. Using the ruler in the program made the crop exact. Then placing the graphic in a table with the borders and padding set to zero, and the table data width set to a percent left no trace the graphic was cropped.

You may end up reinventing the jig saw puzzle... but it may be worth a shot.

Hope this helps,

Jim

I've just been watching this thread out of curiosity. That's a pretty handy way of doing this. I just hope JS7214 doesn't have 100 grids to deal with.

You can make hotspots like you said, and use some javascript to make another image "pop-up" when they hover over that hotspot. The new image that will pop-up can be your text of that person.

If you want to do this, I'll send you over the javascript. It's really easy. ~Javrix

A broken clock is correct twice per day.

A roomful of monkeys on typwriters will eventually write the great american novel.

If you gave an infinate number of rednecks, an infinate number of shotguns to shoot at an infinate number of stree

Hi There

Please could you help me with the above mentioned script.
I am desperatly looking for a script that will display an
image or text in a frame below when the mouse over a
hotspot or hover button.
I did find one, but he problem is that you have to use it's
buttons and it only displays text. I am rather new to
javascript so please be detailed.

Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back