Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Outlook 2003 user to Exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulk01

MIS
Jan 6, 2005
US
I have a user who is a Custom Recipient and was set up that way because she has laptop and connects to our ISP directly when on the road. I am trying to replace her laptop with an XPpro running Outlook 2003. When I try to add her exchange server settings I get an error message saying her name could not be matched in the address book. Her Win 98 machine works just fine. If I try to do a Check Name with any other Custom Recipients I get the same response, but with regular Mailboxes it sets up correctly. Is there some kind of setting I need to make to allow Check Name to function?

Thanks,
Paul

Can you ping the server? RPC ping? Try adding an LMHOSTS file to the users' laptop with the server name and IP address and use LMHOSTS lookup for name resolution, or use the FQDN of the Exchange server as the name for the Exchange server when you enter the users' name. Remember to turn off cached mode or you can crash your IS.

Yes I can ping the server. RPC ping does not connect.
Added server name to Hosts file (No change).

Where next?

Hosts file or LMHOSTS? There's a difference. You want to add it to the LMHOSTS because it takes the place of a WINS server. Outlook 2k3 still uses NETBIOS names for name resolution of the Exchange server. Go to a command prompt and type in "nbtstat -c" and check to see if the server and ip address show up there, if not, then type in "nbtstat -R", then "nbtstat -c" again (no quotes). This reloads the netbios cache and allows you to view it. Try pinging the server by name and by ip address. Then, go back into Outlook, delete the users' profile and recreate it. Sometimes that profile gets cached too which will cause problems when trying to connect to the server, so you have to create a new one.

I put it in LMHOSTS.
ran nbtstat -c
shows no names in cache
ran nbtstat -R
ran nbtstat -c
still shows no names in cache
Rebooted
ran nbtstat -c
still shows no names in cache

Go to your network settings and enable LMHOSTS lookup. Try those steps again.

...also did you do the information store patch (update) for Outlook 2003? If not go to technet and type in outlook 2003 and exchange 5.5, you should see a few patches.

Ok I will try both. Not at the office today, will get it first thing next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back