Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding numbers to a Column in Excel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiancaJ

Technical User
Nov 4, 2002
GB
Hi:

I was given a spreadsheet where I have to add an extra column - in the column I must add the number associated with each row.

What I do is type in '1', '2' to the first two rows and then place the cursor on the bottom right of the lower cell. Then I drag the cursor down the column - the cells are then filled by the correct value.

I have over 1000 rows - is there a more automated way in which I can fill the column - i.e. without dragging the cursor all the way to the last row?

Thanks,

Bianca

Outline the column. Click Edit/Fill/Series and set the condition to end at 1000.

-Dave

Sorry about that. You have to put a 1 in the first cell before you do the fill. Typed before I thought.

-Dave

Thank you for your post.

This is very helpful :)

Is there a way I can do this for text as well - i.e. if I would like to fill all rows from 1 to 1000 with 'Y'?

Thanks again,

Bianca

If you have data in the other columns (from 1 to 1000), enter your Y in row 1
Then hover your mouse over the bottom right corner of the cell until it turns into a black +
double click the left mouse button - should autofill to the bottom of your data

You can do this for numbers too - just have to enter 1 in row 1 and 2 in row 2 then select both cells and do as I outlined above Rgds
Geoff

Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur

My first star! I'd like to thank the Academy....

But seriously, I don't think there's an easy way to do text like there are numbers. I think you'll still have to do the drag once you've put the 'Y' in. Of course, if you do this frequently, it's easy to write a macro that will do it for text. Let me know if you want to go that way.

-Dave

Good one, Geoff! I never knew that. That will be extremely useful in my current job...

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back