Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding NT Workstation back to Domain? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taker

MIS
Oct 5, 2000
US
I have an NT workstation that crashed and we used rescue disks and it recovered everything except being on the domain. So when it came up I added to the domain SJSHS and it seemed ok (said welcome to SJSHS Domain) then I rebooted.
Well when I tried to logon (as Administrator) to the domain, it says that the computer account password is invalid?
How is that? It is the same workstation, should have the same SID.
So I logged on to the LOCAL workstation and removed it from the domain, placing it a workgroup (SJSHS), then rebooted.
I went to the PRIMARY DOMAIN CONTROLLER and removed it from the domain workstation list, then synchronized the entire domain. Left both sitting for 30minutes, then I logged on to the workstation, and placed it back in the domain. Again everything looked correct, but when I rebooted I keep getting the same error about the computer account.
How can this be fixed, other than reinstalling the entire OS?

Also to add to this, in the SERVER MANAGER on the PDC it says the TRUST RELATIONSHIP between the workstation and DOMAIN failed.

Try this. From server manager, remove the workstation's account completely. No need to wait for syncronization or anything. Log onto the LOCAL workstation as an admin. Change the workstation membership to a workgroup, click the apply. Then change it back to the domain membership you want, use the "create computer account" and give it a domain admin account. It may error out once or twice for various reasons, but after a couple tries it should give you a "welcome to domain". At that point you should be able to reboot and log into the domain.

David Moore
dm7941@sbc.com

Hello dm7941!

I don't know how you found out this one, but it's been realy helpful for me!!! thanx a lot and a star for you!

mim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back