Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding new server, promoting to PDC & demoting old server

Status
Not open for further replies.

boryan

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
US
I'm adding a new server to a system that has a PDC and a second box for Exchange. I know this is an involved process. I'll have to promote and demote and move all FSMOs to the new server. I want to keep the old server as a BDC and for backup DNS, etc.Are there any step by steps out there for just this kind of thing? There's lots for migrating from NT to 2003, etc., but this is just 2003 to 2003 with new hardware. So a few of my questions:

1. After installing 2003 on the new server, do I then attach it to the network first and promote it, or do I just make it a PDC before I even attach, and then demote the other server? Do I give it all the FSMOs while it's a stand-alone, or do I wait until it's on the network and then move those functions from the old server?
2. Probably the most time consuming: Do I need to re-install every single program that now is on the current server to the new server, or can I do that by making a system state backup and then restoring that to the new server? But of course the new server and the old server are not at all the same machines, so I wouldn't think that would work. So am I stuck with all this re-installation and then moving data from the old to the new?

first your going to have to runn adprep and forprep tot he ad envirroment for the addtion of the new server, install ad on the new server and dns and any other services that u will want to replicat with your older pdc like wins and what not. pop it on the new and allow it to replicat the ad and schedule the sync for dns and wins, in 2003 there is no pdc and bdc like in wnnt 4.0 so u can keep ur old 2003 back a replication partener with ur new server

After installing 2003 on the new server, do I then attach it to the network first and promote it, or do I just make it a PDC before I even attach, and then demote the other server?
No. Add the new server to the domain. Then run dcpromo on it. Once promoted.. take the night off. Real cool to force the replication but easiest is to just let it wait. Do NOT move the FSMO roles until you've waited (replicated).

Do I give it all the FSMOs while it's a stand-alone, or do I wait until it's on the network and then move those functions from the old server?
Continued from above... now that you have waited at least overnight for some replication. Now you move any services you want to the new server.. DHCP, any primary DNS zones, whatever. Now you can also move your FSMO roles to the new server. Move then gently, no need to seize them. Important: Leave the Infrastructure master role on the old DC.
Probably the most time consuming: Do I need to re-install every single program that now is on the current server to the new server
Yes, you do. Sorry.

or can I do that by making a system state backup and then restoring that to the new server?
Do NOT do this.

BTW, if you are already a 2003 domain you do not have to re-run adprep or domainprep regardless of the other post.

FRCP
(my side business)

Thanks to all for the info. I'll print this and take your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back