Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding new server, joining domain. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneMadCoder

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2008
I'm getting started on setting up our new server. Where can I find detailed step by step information on adding a new server to the sbs domain.

Also, this is a Windows 2008 standard server. Anything I should look out for or not do, please let me know.

OneMad, the basics are the same as adding a Vista system to a domain.

1) Make sure that the server has a static IP and is pointing to the SBS server for its DNS.

2) On the main info page that you get when you get properties on My Computer, you have the option to join a domain (somewhere in there). You can join the SBS domain if you provide the right credentials. Use the domain\username format when you provide creds.

There will probably be a required reboot, and that's about it.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Cool, I already done that a week ago. I thought there was more to it than that.

One thing though.
On the new server I have a (4) 1 terabyte drives I broke in to 5 200 gig partitions. One of the partitions I have shared.
But how can I add global permissions? I have to manually add the users permissions. Is there a way to pull it from the SBS.

btw shack: I read you blog, I couldn't help but laugh after reading the story of you finding your own article.

OneMad, can you flesh out what you are talking about a bit? You want to create a share on the new server...

You probably just need to create some security groups (or just a single group) on the SBS server and then assign that group permissions on the share. That's sort of a "global" way to do things. Not sure if that's what you were trying to figure out though. One way or another, you will have to assign permissions to the share on the new server. Share perms are set on the server that owns the share.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

That's exactly what I was looking for, Thanks A lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back