Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding new Hard Drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlang

MIS
Jan 17, 2000
US
I have the enjoyable task of replacing a hard drive on an ancient PC. This is a frankenstein system that was put together with bits and pieces of others. Is there a limit as to the size hard drive I can put in this antique? Running fine now - just want more storage space. It currently has a 640MB and I'm trying to upgrade it to a 6.4 GB but the BIOS won't recognize it. Is it the size or something completely different?

u need to check the specks for your motherboard & bios<br>
you'll probably have to update the bios

If it is really old you may need to run drive translation software as well as flash the bios. this software usually comes with the hdd.

Depending on your OS...oh wait, you'll probably be using Windows (should've figured). You'll need software that can tell your OS what the geometry of the hd is. <p>REH<br><a href=mailto:hawkdogg@crosswinds.net>hawkdogg@crosswinds.net</a><br><a href= by Linux</a><br>Learn Linux and Leave out the Windows :)

I had to do the same thing with my computer. I was installing a 12 gig HD and it would only recognize 512megs of it. What I did was installed windows on it how it was and I downloaded a program that allowed me to use the entire HD the only thing is that it's running on win95 so it's on FAT16 and I had to seperate the HD into 6 different drives. What you'll probably want to do is goto the website of your HD manufacturer and see what they have for large HD support. Something like Dynamic Drive Overlay.

You have to give Kreep a hand. You'll probably never use a 6.4 HD on the system until you do a substantial upgrade or learn to live with drives A: through P:<br><br:mad:) <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= temporary Vorpalcom home page</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

If the bios recognizes the 640 for its full size, then you do have LBA. Some early versions however maxed out at 2 GIG (this is independant of the 2 GIG limit in DOS or non-FAT32 Windows). The next level was 8 GIG. <br>If the board is that old you may never find a bios upgrade if it even is flash upgradeable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back