Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding new fields to an existing form 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchim32

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
US
I've created a form but now I want to add a field to the existing form. I've attempted to use the expression builder in Design View but it returns #Name? The field that I want to use does not show in the FIELD LIST because it was not a field I included when I created the form (using the Wizard). The form is pulling the data from 4 different tables with established relationships. If I start from scratch I can get it to work but I'd like to avoid starting from scratch each time I need to add a new field to my form. Any help is appreciated.

The field list shows all of the fields available from the form's ControlSource. If the ControlSource is a query, make sure that the new field is one of the fields output from the query.

If you built the form dynamically by using the Form Wizard, it builds a SELECT statement as the ControlSource. Add the new field to the SELECT statement, close and save the form, then reopen it in Design view. The new field should appear in the field list.

Wemeier is correct. If you used the wizard, an "embedded query" was built for you. Therefore, you must add the new field you would like to use. Right click the black square by the ruler (at the top left),click on properties then click the DATA tab, click the 3 black dots and the embedded query will open. Drag the field you want to use onto the design grid. Then click on the right upper close button for the embedded qurey, save the change and when you go to the field list your field should be there. The exact SQL statement will be back in the embedded query, click VIEW, then SQL VIEW and you will see the syntax for your visual design grid. As well, you do not always have to create a query for the form to be based upon, you can create your own embedded query from scratch, and then everyting you need for the form is right there. Good Luck.

Okay people - lets clear up some of the terminology here so that the real problem can be worked on.

jchim32
now I want to add a field to the existing form
Well you CANNOT
You can add a CONTROL to a FORM.
You can add a FIELD to a TABLE.

wemeier
The field list shows all of the fields available from the form's ControlSource
FORMS do not have a ControlSource properties
CONTROLS have Control Source properties
FORMS have RECORD SOURCE properties.

So when you are trying to follow ZylaWonder's instructions, you'll need to be looking for Record Source property.

'ope-that-'elps.

G LS
accessaceNOJUNK@valleyalley.co.uk
Remove the NOJUNK to use.

Please remember to give helpful posts the stars they deserve!
This makes the post more visible to others in need! :-D

Thanks for the posts. After hours of hunting last night for the solution I was able to figure it out. I have never created a form using Design View, which was similar to what I was trying to do here. The steps that ZylaWonder posted were close to what I did to get the results I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back