Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding new disks to compaq ML530

Status
Not open for further replies.

dooby12

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
GB
i have a compaq server with 3 disks of 18.2gb. they are in Array A, Raid 5, Logical drive 1. It has 3 primary partitions as follows, 36mb (Eisa Utilities) - 3.32gb(System)- 30.56gb(data)
i have just added in 3 new disks of 72.8gb each. i created an array B , raid5, logical drive2.
in my disk manager i have 135.67gb unallocated space. i wish to add all this space on to the existing E: so the combined E: will be 30.56 + 135.67

what is the best way to do this please?

You will need a 3rd party tool like Server mananger or Volume manager to do this.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Ooops I meant Server Magic.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

thanks NOrtonES2, are there any free tools?

Hi!
I would say that generally you have 2 options.

1. Upgrade to dynamic disks and add this space to E:

2. (The one that I would preffer and I've tried successfully) Ghost the disks from the small Array and transfer the image to the new one. Than boot from the new array.

Good Luck!

just remember that if you convert to dynamic disks you won't be able to revert back to basic

Suggestion:
Follow this thread484-414706 , after that extend E: from the recovered space. Doing this process will give you a 3 x 18.2GB HDD unused. You can create another logical drive for this 3 HDD as a backup for the first logical drive or for whatever purpose you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back