Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding new analog phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbankscharles

Technical User
Oct 8, 2023
US
Having worked with only VoIP phones I've never added an analog phone and can't seem to find clear documentation. Here is what I've done:
1. Added extension number to one of the ports on one of my expansion modules
2. Create a new user and put the extension in for the base extension
3. Modified SIP with the DID for that extension
4. Verified that incoming call routing was created.

When I try to dial out I get a double beep. Cannot dial outside call. If I dial another extension it shows "NoUser" but goes through. If I call the new user it shows I'm dialing that user (by name) but the call does not go through.

What am I missing as I don't see a means to log that phone in.

The user isn't correctly associated with the extension. So dialing from the extension is using the settings of the NoUser user, who by default is barred from making external calls.

Normally, the IP Office will have automatically created an extension and user for each analog and digital port on the expansion - you need to recheck the base extension settings and the user extension settings, there's a mismatch somewhere, and make sure you are actually dialing from the right extension port. (First ever IP Office bug I saw the user was calling the wrong extension and wondering why the one they thought they were calling didn't ring (easily done with analog phones that don't display extension numbers and numbers dialed)).

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Reboot the system, when it comes back up the Users will all match the Extensions.

Or, assign a Login Code to the User under Telephony > Supervisor Settings. Merge the config, go to the phone and dial
*35*{LoginCode}#

sizbut,

I had a port on an expansion module that had 1234 (there is a lot of weird things like this) for the extension. I changed that to a valid extension that matches the last four digits of DID routing. Then I copied that number and pasted it in the extension of the new user. Again, I've not worked with Analog but thought that would work. I understand what you are saying about the NoUser, but when I call that extension it displays that new user. Doesn't that mean the extension is associated with that user?

Oh! I did *35*extension*LoginCode*. I'll try that and then reboot.

Again, thanks guys for your support!

Your own words: " If I call the new user it shows I'm dialing that user (by name) but the call does not go through." - It's not actually ringing the physical extension. So you have created a logical entry user X, but that isn't correctly as yet linked with the physical extension X.

Check, check and check. Look for duplicate entries, and reboot. Things like changing the Base Extension of extensions requires a reboot.

Checked my memory, the Server Edition behaviour is controlled by the System | Telephony | Digital/Analog Auto Create User setting which by default is off.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

That makes sense and I get it now. Reboot fixed the issue, and cleared 5 errors. I should have just rebooted in the first place but thought maybe I just wasn't doing something right. Once again, I have never worked on a system this messed up, or analog.

Thank You so much for your help and for working with me on these issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back