Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Network Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonym29

Technical User
Jun 7, 2001
GB
I am running Microsoft SBS on a network with win XP pc's.
I have a hp network printer connected to the hub. I have just replaced two pc's with new ones (win xp) and can't get then to see the network printer.Any help please.

Tony.

Check the firewall turn it off and see if it is the cause. The other issue could be is DNS is working on those pc's.

How are you trying to connect to the printer? Via a share or direct via IP? If the latter, did you add IP ports?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

The firewall is turned on by the SBS software and I can't turn it off on the PC's.

This is how I usually do it.

Install your printer on the SBS. Do this by adding a port, select tcp/ip port,use the printer ip. Install the printers drivers. Share the device, and tell it to list in the directory.

The printer should now show up for the xp clients while browsing the AD. Also you can navigate to the SBS and look in the printers folder to connect to the device also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back