Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Network printers for all users of a computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

skwiggley

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
CA
Hi:

We will be changing all of the IP addresses for the printers on our network, so we need to update the clients accordingly (Windows 2000 and some XP).

If I log in as a local administrator on a Windows 2000 Pro machine and Add network printers on a Local TCP/IP port, this is available to all users of that computer. However, if I add a printer as a Network printer this is not available to all other users of the computer - this is how I would like to do it so that everyone is using the print server. Is there a way to do this?

Also, how can I find out what printers a user already has installed (so I can delete them and install their antecedents).

Thanks for that, bilebalar, but nope, it doesn't make it available to all users on that computer.

I should clarify a point too: Adding a Network printer as the local administrator gives an "Access Denied" error. It can be added by domain admin without the error, but does not get made available to all users.

Hope the clarification helps, I realise I wasn't too clear!

skwiggley,

what about logging in as domain admin and then add as a local printer, (don't select auto detect) add a new port with the printers ip. we add all our printers this way and any user on the machine has access to the printer (and they will all have the same default printer if more than one installed).

regards,

longhair

i understand your 1st point. yes, logging on locally as an administrator can't add a network printer because you are not even on the network, so you don't have access to any network resource.

and for me, i log on as the domain admin and i can add network printer on a client and it is available to any user who logs on. hmm...

do you have any group policy preventing you from this?

Skwiggley,

Assuming that the print device has been shared correctly on the print server have you checked the permissions on the device ? Print permissions should be assigned to the Everyone group (or Authenticated Users). The Creator/Owner group can be assigned the Manage Print Jobs permission.

Can your users install the printer by browsing to the server using a UNC (Start > Run > \\servername) then double-clicking on the printer icon ?

Just a thought.

SL

bilebalar, it's not my network so I couldn't say for sure about group policies, that's an excellent point though.

SpotLizard, permissions are set to Everyone and domain users can install printers without a problem, I'm just trying to avoid them having to. With over 100 users on the network segment in question, I can imagine a lot of help desk calls.

It looks like we're going to use a login script to set up the printers on startup. Each user will be asked a few questions and the default printer will be assigned on that basis. One of the other staff is working on that, the "first draft" seems to work well.

Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreicate your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back