Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding more storage to NT4 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcorn65

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2002
US
Hello, I have an NT 4 Raid 5. There are currently four 9 gig scsi drives, a 17 gig, and a 36 gig. The four 9's being the originals. Disk admin is not seeing the drives although Perc Console is, also system sees them in console mode during bootup. I am running out of room on the four 9,s and need to add these others drives to the array. Is this possible without doing a complete rebuild and restore?

I had the same issue and could not add the additional drives, Since the sever was a Dell I gave them a call and they told me I would have to rebuild the server to add the additional drive space, but that was just my experience, if there is away to do it I would like to know myself.

Mine also is a Dell, and thats what they told me as well.

You will have to rebuild. But here’s your problem ...The limiting factor on size is that the RAID 5 is constrained by the smallest disk size. Raid 5 will only use the amount of disk space on the smallest drive within the array. You are currently using four 9 GB drives for a total of 27 GB; if you rebuild and add a drive larger then 9 GB it will only use 9 GB of that drive no matter the size.

For those who think my math is lousy:
RAID-5 volumes provide fault tolerance at a cost of only one additional disk for the volume. This means that if you use four 9-GB disks to create a RAID-5 volume, the volume will have a 27-GB capacity. The remaining 9-GB is used for parity.

RAID-5 volumes cannot be extended or mirrored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back