Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Modificaiton or Transform (MST) File Error if Group Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimesMG

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2007
I'm trying to deploy AutoCAD LDT 2006 using GP and the MSI and MST files. However, when I add the MST file under the 'Modificaiton' tab and click 'Okay', I get this error:
"An error occured accessing the software installation data in the active directory. See the event log for additional detials."

So when I check the Event Log I get this error:
"Software Installation was unable to read the MSI file <location of MSI>. The following error was encountered: SQL query syntax invalid or unsupported."

Along with error Events 11327, 110, & 101 which are fatal error codes by the Software Installation and MSiInstaller sources.

I have other software packages deploying, but none have the MSI package.

Also, if I have the product's Technical Support guy make the MST file and then copy it onto my server, it works. But if I make it (whether on the server or on a workstation) it fails.

Any ideas?

I solved my own problem, and I have found two coding problems with the 2006 Deployment Wizard program that I though everyone might want to know about so you can make sure you don't fall into the same problems I did and hopefully they aren't coding in Autodesk's 2008 DW.

The first is that if you customize the paths for any of the "Search paths, file names, and file locations" (ie. Printer Configuration Search Path under Options) to a mapped network drive letter (ie P:\CADD\Plotters) rather than a local drive, then the same network drive letter must be registered on the SERVER. Usually this network drive letter (in my example "P") is not on the server since that is a network shared drive letter for client machines while the server see it as a folder on its local hard drive.

The second programming error in the 2006 DW program is that you can’t use a UNC under the Deployment Wizard's "Client Project Directory" field..see my screen shot file. You either have to use the default C:\... or a Mapped drive path in this field. However, for the 2006 DW program to work, as I stated above, the mapped network drive has to be registered on the server for the Active Directory to process the Group Policy Software Deployment successfully. Otherwise you get the SQL error and MSInstallation program errors.

Hopefully these problem area have not be carried over to the 2008 Deployment Wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back