Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Long File Names to a 4.2 volume. I would appreciate any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFurious

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
US
I'm planning on adding long file names to a netware 4.2 volume soon. I would appreciate hearing about anybody's experience with this. Even if everything went okay for you.

I'm planning on having a full backup. Is there anything else I should be aware of? Any issues with Arcserve???? I haven't found much help on the subject. Maybe it's not a big deal and I'm just overly worried because it's a production server.

Any input would be a great help.

Thank You!

Its a piece of cake! You shouldn't have any worries.

Just make sure that you have enough free Disk Space / Memory. Check your AVAILABLE CACHE BUFFERS from the NetWare CONSOLE MONITOR. As long as you are over 50% Cache Buffers (75% is better), you will have no problems!

Good Luck.

This by far is one of the easiest things to add to a server. AS salserocito points out, just make sure you have enough ram. Novell provides a memory calculator that you can use to make sure you have enough RAM installed. My guess is this. If you have at least 256 megs of RAM, you should be able to do this with no problem. If you have 512 or more, I would not worry about it as you would have more than enough RAM for what you want to do.

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

CNE 4.11 and CNE 5 certified. BS Degree in MIS. Working in the industry for 8 years.

I work with NT servers, NDS for NT as well.

As the guys before have said, don't worry.

Just:

LOAD LONG
ADD NAME SPACE LONG TO <volume name>

It may take a bit of time depending on how big your volume is, Arcserve should automatically pick up the long filenames - probably best to do a test restore of some data (not all of it) after your first backup. The Arcserve database should show the long filenames anyway! -----------------------------------------------------
&quot;It's true, its damn true!&quot;
-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your help everyone. I just found out there is only 128 megs of RAM on the server. The volume I'm adding the name space to is 1.23 gigs. I have a special bonus question. Are you ready???

How do I determine the block size of a volume?

Thanks Again!

I figured it out the block size thing. I feel stupid. I'm going to stop asking questions now. Ya see, my company's network administrator is out for another month or so. So I get to have fun learning how to do that job now.

MrFurious, no question is stupid when dealing with a corporate network.

I teach all of the newcomers I see to ask questions and keep asking them if they are unsure. I'd rather they asked a stupid question than dive off the deep end on their own without a live preserver. -----------------------------------------------------
&quot;It's true, its damn true!&quot;
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back