Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding logoff dialogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

paladin256

Technical User
Apr 16, 2002
US
I would like to add a dialogue bow that reminds users to do things before they logoff. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

I don't see how this is possible because once they start to shut down, it's too late. And different people shut down at different times so how could you remind them JUST BEFORE they log out when that's an unknown time.

Group Policy only seems to cover Logon messages not Logoff ones.

Computer config / windows settings / security settings / local policies /
security options / "interactive logon: message text..." and "message title..."

Maybe you have to use a scripting solution?

Assign User Logoff Scripts

Well you could make an obnoxious background with the list, change everyone's background on their desktop to it, then change everyone's group policy to be unable to change it. But you may not get invited to the office parties then.

But... people ignore things once they've seen them for a few days. You'd have to change the background on a regular basis alternating obnoxious colors and patterns. Just for informational purposes, what do you want them TO DO before they shut down?

Search
"log off message windows"

1st hit
"How to show a Windows message on Log-off"

Linked Article

Create System Startup / Shutdown and User Logon / Logoff Scripts

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

The key word here is BEFORE as in "before they logoff". Now, what does that exactly mean to the OP? I don't know and I can't say what would satisfy him.

What I am trying to do is have a popup that reminds the users to close out files at the end of the day so that days do not get mixed together and the program does not have an auto close option.

The program" - please identify.

Would TASKKILL work for you?? Brute force, but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back