Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding IP phones to old Avaya systems 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrizzlyOne

IS-IT--Management
Apr 8, 2016
US
Hey, I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue.

At our office we are using an older Avaya phone system, IP Office 400. Obviously this is a digital phone system we have set up.

I want to add IP phones to this system automatically. Presently we can connect the phone, then configure it with a bunch of settings to find our phone system through the server. What would be the best way to go about configuring the phone/server to automatically hand out an IP address and extension to IP phones when they are connected?

Thanks in advance!

G1

Your DHCP server and scope options, research that and search here and you'll have your answer(s) :)

make sure you have VCM channels because the old IP400 series uses internal cards for VCM.
You cna find out by opening the monitor and when it starts it will tell you how many channels, if any, you have.
If not then throw it out and get an IP500 because you don't want to start adding hardware to that old clonker. You can re-use all your phones and expansion hardware so all you need is the processor and get the licenses transferred.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Thanks for the replies.

I will admit I am not experienced working with these phone systems... so any or all details you supply are helpful. I will dig around on this forum more for some resources.

Thanks for the tip on the VCM... our system does indeed have those and so good there.

G1

So, I've been thoroughly using this thread: It mostly makes sense. However, I don't understand when he writes:

"********** If using only a single VLAN for both Voice and Data ********** 1. Expand our your DHCP scope and right click “Scope Options” and select “Configure Options”
2. Scroll down and locate option(s) 176 and/or 242. Under “String value” enter the following:

Option 176 MCIPADD=192.168.42.1,MCPORT=1719,TFTPSRVR=192.168.42.1
Option 242 MCIPADD=192.168.42.1,MCPORT=1719,HTTPSRVR=192.168.42.1 "

In the option parts... what goes in for the MCIPADD and TFTPSRVR section? I'm guessing the numbers he has in are dummy data but I don't know for sure. Also, he says "locate options 176 and/or 242". Both? Or just one? Does it matter?

Thanks!!!

G1

Yeah, it does matter. Old 4600 phones use TFTP or HTTP, and only option 176 and newer 1600/9600 only HTTP with option 242.

Ah that makes sense. I use 4412 D+ phones, so I am thinking I could use either/or? If I'm understanding you correctly the newer phones can only use HTTP.

And are his numbers just "fill in the blank" dummy data?

4412D+ phones are digital phones not IP so you need digital ports for them

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"

Oh sorry, I meant we use 4412's but I want to add in 4600SW phones (those are IP phones). Got confused when I wrote it out.

no worries, confusion is my middle name. It used to be Confucius.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

So in regards to what kyle555 said, I would use TFTP or HTTP with a 4600 phone, while if I used newer IP phones I would need to use HTTP only. Correct? sorry, really trying to understand what you guys are saying.

set type - download option is like this
4600 - TFTP
5600 - HTTP or TFTP, it tries http first and if that is unavailable the it goes the TFTP route
9600 - HTTP

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back