Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding IP Addresses to accomodate increase in hosts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekinike

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2001
US
My network addressing scheme can currently handle 254 hosts. The computers are using static IP's rather than DHCP for security reasons. The scheme is similar to the following: 10.10.0.1-10.10.0.255, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0.

I need to add 50 hosts to my network within the next week and am out of addresses. What would be the quickest, easiest, and most secure way to do so?? Is DHCP the way to go? I do have a Cisco router and PIX in place as well.

change your subnet mask to 255.255.254.0, then you'll have 510 available IP addresses to use, ranging from 10.10.0.1 - 10.10.1.254

Wil I need to change this on all my switches, firewall, router, as well???

If I change the subnet mask on my firewall, router, and switches to 255.255.254.0 will hosts with a 255.255.255.0 still be able to get out to the internet? I'm assuming they would, but would simply not be able to communicate with anything on the 255.255.254.0 subnet. Please confirm or deny

I'm new to CISCO routing .... so take this with a grain of salt...

If your host are not on the same network as your gateway (router / firewall) you're not going to be able to access the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back