Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Internet to NT server network

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperDoc

Technical User
Apr 11, 2002
US
Hi folks,
I have NT Server with seven WIN 98 users and one WIN 2K user on an 8 port hub running a network business application.

We want to add Broadband internet to the network.
How do I get it attached????
Add another NIC to the server?
Add second NIC to any system needing internet and run a second network?

Suggestions welcome....
SuperDoc

Your easiest option is probably to purchase a Cable/DSL router. Linksys and Netgear have very inexpensive and user-friendly options. When you get the broadband, you connect the cable or dsl modem to the router, and connect the router to your hub. Then use one of the following configurations:

1. If not using DHCP - set up DHCP on your new router (recommended) and reconfigure your client workstations to get their IP info from there.
2. If not using DHCP - add the IP of the router as the default gateway on all client machines (including server if you want internet access from that).
3. If currently using DHCP - assign the IP of the router as the default gateway on whatever's running your DHCP. Marc Creviere

It kind of depends on what your going for. Do you want to controll access to the internet? If not you will need the broadband connection, and a router. The route will allow the clients to connect to outside IP addresses. Linksys has one that is a route and a 4 port hub, it also can act as a DHCP. If you want only certain connections to get access to the internet then you may want to look at somthing else. If you do not give the users the DNS address they cannot access the network. This is a simple fix.

Thanks

Terrel

Thanks..
I needed to understand the details of how to setup the DHCP

Since I only have an 8 port hub and all 8 ports are used I expect I should buy a 4 port Cable Router.
Then unplug one of the cables of the existing hub and connect the Cable Router to that position.
The former workstation connects to one of the DSL/Cable router ports.
The Cable modem connects to main input of the Router..
Sound right????

DHCP is setup on the router and it will hand out IP addresses and DNS numbers to network that are currently using DHCP. Every time a DHCP enable computer comes up on the network it requests a IP address the DHCP sever hands it one. (This is very simple)

Connecting the Cable Router to the 8 port hub. Correct you will need to disconnect one port and connect that computer to the cable router. Then you will need to connect the cable router to the 8 port hub by using 1 uplink port and 1 regular port. The linksys has one uplink. This allows you to connect the hubs with out needing a cross-over cable.

I hope this helps

Terrel

Terrel,

Yes. I think I understand... It makes sense.
I know a fair amount about simple networks, but not an expect. Usually I just flail away until I get it to run!!

One question..
The system is in a dentist (orthodontist) office and the network runs his practice.

The dental software has already defined specific IP addresses for each of the 8 terminals. Therefore I can't use DCHP. Do I understand that I need to set the Gateway IP on each WIN 98 and WIN 2K and machine & the Gateway fuction allows the connection to the Internet?

Don't know if Hub has uplink port, will have to go to the office & look. I have a crossover cable. Sh9uld I just use that to interconnect the Router/Hub to the hub?

Regards,
:)

So long as the static IP addresses assigned by the dental software are private addresses the issue of static versus dynamic should not be a concern.
Each client PC should have the gateway defined as the IP address handed out by your ISP to the NIC connected to the internet. There's one possible issue here. The ISP-assigned address will not necessarily be a static IP address. If/when a new IP is handed out by your broadband provider it will be necessary to change the default gateway on the client PCs.
One possible work around is to make the NT box function as a proxy server and pointing your clients to the proxy. There may be suitable freeware proxy server packages available. I know of some inexpensive commercially available products but I believe the rules forbid mentioning specific products here.

Hope this helps!

- Kevin -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back